Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Flute's Pups Arrive!

After a long night, Flute's puppies all arrived.

Flute's pre-labor began earlier in the day and active labor started late evening. The first pup (a pepper & salt male) was born at 11:15pm. The last pup (a black male) was born at 4:35am. This is a relatively short time for whelping that many pups and Flute, pups and I are thankful for that!

Flute is proud to announce that she has 7 pups, as our reproductive vet predicted from the xray (see earlier post for xray image):

1 pepper & salt boy
2 black boys
2 pepper & salt girls
2 black girls

Flute and pups are doing incredibly well. Flute has really taken to motherhood, is very attentive, loving and protective of her pups.

The pups are all vibrant, nursing and sleeping well.

Wish I could say the same of myself, with a raging case of the flu (great timing, mother nature!), and after an all-nighter mid-wife-ing Flute through her first litter!

I've taken lots of photos today, but am exhausted, so will post in the future as I am able.

I have to say that I am soo impressed with first-time mom's Flute's natural and easy mothering sense. Considering she was whelping on the tail end of a major snow and freezing ice storm that would have made reaching the vet nearly impossible, I am beyond grateful that she was able to deliver all those pups naturally.

Thank you, Flute!!

3 comments:

  1. Huge Congrats!!! I am truly happy for all of you!!!
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Momma Flute from Tory! What a nice color/gender split. Something for everyone's taste. Can't wait to see pics of the baby schnauzer brats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexis and Christie,

    I am still really sick, so I'm super sucking at posting to the blog and representing the great things that are happening with pups and Flute. Thanks for your encouragement. I really appreciate it.

    Even more, congrats majorly to Tory and Alexis for the new title!!! Wonderful and a such a testement to your work and partnership.

    Want to train my schnauzers, Alexis ;-D??

    ReplyDelete